If you like baked goods and chocolate you’re going to love this Vegan Grain-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread! It’s gluten-free, super low in sugar and beyond easy to make.
This was my first time experimenting with chickpea flour and I’m officially hooked. After too many failed attemps with vegan baking resulting in flat cakes and loaves that crumble faster than Pompeii, I turned to a new flour.
Chickpea flour is awesome because it’s absorbant and binding. It’s also grain-free which is great! And don’t worry, it won’t make your bread taste like hummus.
So, give this baby a try and see if chickpea flour is your new saving grace too!
Vegan Grain-Free Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread [GF]
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 slices
Nut milk bag
2 Tbsp milled flax
6 Tbsp water
1 zucchini, scrubbed
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine ingredients listed under flax egg in a small dish and put in the fridge to set.
- Chop ends of off the zuchini and discard. Then cut in half and place in the food processor. Process on a low speed until it is shredded. It does not need to be uniform so just pulse a few times.
- Transfer shredded zucchini to a nut milk bag and while holding over the sink, squeeze out as much water as possible. Measure out 1 cup of this zucchini into the food processor. Any leftovers can be frozen for smoothies, added to a salad or tossed in a stir fry!
- Add flax egg and remaining wet ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until ingrediens are combined and zucchini is fairly broken up. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk.
- Pulse the wet ingredients a few more times then use a spatula to transfer these to the mixing bowl. Use your spatula to fold the wet ingredients into the dry, be patient. When batter is uniform, fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into your parchment-lined loaf pan and use your spatula to smooth the top. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the loaf cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan and serving. Store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer indefinitely.